We cannot doubt the fact that Garcinia Cambogia has been popularized recently for its perceived weight loss effect and a host of other dietary health benefits. Its greatest crusader is Dr. Oz who has enthusiastically discussed its magical effects and recommended several of its supplements on his The Doctor Oz Show. Hundreds of blogs based on natural herbal supplements review this product daily.
However, not everyone believes it really works. This is attributed to the fact that thousands of other herbal supplements have been recommended before but did not really deliver the miraculous results as their brochures animatedly stated.
What is Garcinia cambogia?
This is a crimson tropical fruit pumpkin-like in shape and originates from South East Asia typically used for its flavor addition to food stuff. This fruit has a high amount of Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) which gives it potency as an effective natural regimen. The extract is made from its pure juice with other ingredients such as calcium and potassium added to facilitate efficacy towards weight loss and other benefits.
How does Garcinia cambogia really work?
This natural extract’s supplement has been scientifically proven to work in mainly 2 ways. These are:
a. Appetite suppression
- Appetite in this case means the desire to eat more food. Excess calories in the body in turn increase body weight. The high levels Hydroxycitric acid in it brings about anorectic effect by acting as a hormonal stimulus that boosts the release of serotonin. Serotonin consequently works in a cascade whose effect is the feeling of satisfaction.
- When somebody doesn’t feel like eating much means that the little calories added is only sufficient for the body to function. The body will therefore tend to metabolize excess fat deposits to make up for its energy requirements. This ultimately results in weight loss as the body sheds off fats.
b. Reduction of fat synthesis
- Basically, the HCA component in Gracinia cambogia works in a chain reaction process that ends up shutting down fat synthesis while boosting lipolysis (fat breakdown). Normally, excess blood sugars (glucose) and stored sugars (glycogen) are converted into fatty acids through a process involving coupling of Coenzyme A with ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate) to make Oxaloacetic acid. Hydroxycitric acid in this supplement blocks citrate lyase, an enzyme that catalyzes the cascade above. This means that any excess calories consumed won’t make it to the body’s adeposites (fat deposits) as they end up expunged with other excrement.
- Reduction in fat synthesis also comes with the benefit of boosting the levels of body-friendly fats such as High Density Lipoproteins (HDL), reduces levels of Low Density Lipoproteins (LDL) and triglycerides. This ultimately plays a role in keeping obesity and cardiovascular diseases at bay.
A vast number of scientific studies have been done on Garcinia cambogia to back up these beneficial claims. In fact most doctors now recommend this supplement to patients with conditions ranging from obesity, overweight, diabetes, high blood pressure and heart conditions.
Side effects of Garcinia cambogia
Just like any other medication, Garcinia cambogia may give side effects. These may include:
- Stomach upset
- Nausea and vomiting
Occurrence of these is normal and often fades away within a few days, however if they persist or become adverse then one is advised to seek immediate medical attention.
What can make Garcinia cambogia not work for you?
Despite the array of benefits and details on how it works, different bodies respond to drugs differently. So far studies suggest this regimen may not work or rather cause adverse effects under these conditions:
- Interactive drugs – drugs used to reduce cholesterol levels will interact with garcinia since its components work in similar cascade.
- Heart conditions – if one is prone to high blood pressure or is having a heart disease, this may not work since it results in increased blood pressure. This counteractive effect is fatal.
- Diabetes – this product counteracts the working process of insulin therefore will not work.